In June 2018, KYUK flew to Mountain Village to meet with former Village Police Officer Anna Bill. We followed Anna as she helped save her neighbors from suicide attempts, navigated a frustrating health care system, and coped with personal tragedies of her own. Like many Village and Tribal Police Officers, Anna performed a difficult job with no training, inadequate equipment, and little financial support. This series explores those challenges.
- Part One: In Mountain Village, A VPO Works Tirelessly To Save Her Neighbors
- Part Two: In Villages, First Responders Frustrated By An Overburdened Health Care System
- Part Three: In Response To Their High Suicide Rate, Mountain Village Marches For Hope
- Part Four: In Rural Communities, Village Police Officers Face Impossible Job
- Epilogue: VPO Anna Bill Interviews Commissioner Walt Monegan
If you or one of your loved ones is struggling with suicidal thoughts, please call the Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. You can also call the YKHC Behavioral Health Department's Crisis Response Line at 907-543-6499 or toll-free at 1-844-543-6499.