We don't have any beef with this carne guisada (Mexican beef stew)
Carne Guisada (Mother’s recipe)
- Beef chunk meat, cut into desired sizes
- Bell pepper
Carne Guisada (with measurements)
- 3 lbs. stew meat (moose or beef)
- 1 tbsp. oil (lard, bacon grease, etc.)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 3 tbsp. tomato sauce or 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic powder or 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- Flour tortillas, rice, or mashed potatoes for serving.
- In a large pan, brown the stew meat, onions, and green pepper (if using) over high heat.
- Add the tomato, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and stir well.
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat and mix well.
- Add the water or stock and mix well so that there are no lumps.
- Bring to a boil, cover pan, and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 1 ½ hours, or until meat is tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve with your side of choice.
Extra: Enchilada Sauce
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup hot water
- Chili powder
- You can flour the meat before you brown it, or you can brown the meat then flour it.
- Add some water to create a little gravy, then add your desired spices.
- Saute, then add more water to create more gravy. If the gravy looks too thick, add more water to desired consistency.