Sharing the Shami: from Iran to Bethel
1 of 6 — Shami and sides
2 of 6 — veggies and spices
3 of 6 — shami mixture
4 of 6 — shami shape
5 of 6 — fried shami
6 of 6 — fried tomatoes as a side
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 2 medium size Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium yellow onion
- Chili pepper, black pepper, turmeric, and salt as needed.
- In a big bowl, add the ground beef and spices.
- Grate the onion and add to the bowl.
- Grate the peeled potatoes finely and add to the bowl, mixing everything together.
- Take a fistful of the mixture and flatten it into an oval shape using the palm of your hand.
- Fry the oval shaped mixture in vegetable oil on both sides.
Tip: The mixture should be moist/sticky for a crisper fry.