Chit-chattin' about chitterlings
- 20 lbs. chitterlings
- 3 large onions
- 4 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp. soul food seasoning
- 1 qt. water
- Hot sauce (to taste)
- Thaw chitterlings
- Soak chitterlings in cold water and clean
- Scrape insides with a knife, careful not to damage them
- Move chitterlings to fresh, cold water and clean again
- Repeat steps 2 and 3
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 again!
- Drain chitterlings and add ingredients to a large stock pot
- Bring to a boil and cover
- Reduce heat and simmer for 6-8 hours until chitterlings are soft and tender
* Some people like to add red pepper flakes, celery, potatoes, and bell peppers.
* Instead of a stock pot, you can cook them in a pressure cooker or instant pot for an hour.
* Serve with collard greens, cornbread, and more hot sauce for the best experience.