Listen To KYUK's Four-Part Series On Policing, Safety, And Public Health In Mountain Village
In June 2018, KYUK flew to Mountain Village to meet with former Village Police Officer Anna Bill. We followed Anna as she helped save her neighbors from suicide attempts, navigated a frustrating health care system, and coped with personal tragedies of her own. Like many Village and Tribal Police Officers, Anna performed a difficult job with no training, inadequate equipment, and little financial support. This series explores those challenges.
- Part One: In Mountain Village, A VPO Works Tirelessly To Save Her Neighbors
- Part Two: In Villages, First Responders Frustrated By An Overburdened Health Care System
- Part Three: In Response To Their High Suicide Rate, Mountain Village Marches For Hope
- Part Four: In Rural Communities, Village Police Officers Face Impossible Job
- Epilogue: VPO Anna Bill Interviews Commissioner Walt Monegan
If you or one of your loved ones is struggling with suicidal thoughts, please call the Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. You can also call the YKHC Behavioral Health Department's Crisis Response Line at 907-543-6499 or toll-free at 1-844-543-6499.